At some point you are going to have to deal with a plumbing emergency. These usually occur at the most inopportune times. While you don’t have to be a plumber to completely fix the problem it is good for you to know a few tips and tricks to minimize damage until you can call a Greenwich plumber.
Tips for Plumbing Emergencies
Let’s look at a few things you can do for various emergencies. It is good to know where the main shut off valve is located. It will also pay to have a Greenwich plumber’s phone number handy.
- Leaking or broken pipes – Turn off the main water supply. Even if the leak is small, over time plenty water will be lost and your water bill will go up significantly. You may be able to fix a leak but it is still best to call a professional for help.
- Water heater leaking – If hot water is leaking from the unit turn off the cold water supply directly above the heater. If this can’t be closed completely turn off the main water supply. If the water is not leaking into a drain you will have to connect a hose to the heater and run it to a drain.
- Gas water heater – Turn off the gas to the appliance. The gas line is either black or yellow and is located next to the temperature dial. The turn-off valve is red. Turn it 90 degrees to cut off the gas.
- Electric water heater – Shut off the power at your circuit breaker panel.
- Clogged toilet – If the toilet stops up and looks like it’s going to overflow turn the water on in a nearby sink or bathtub. This will slow down the water to the toilet. Try a plunger to unclog the toilet.
- Stopped up drain – If the drain is completely stopped up, use a plunger to free it up. You can use a liquid drain cleaner if the sink is draining slowly.
- Washing machine – If your washer malfunctions turn off both valves near the machine. Also turn off any electricity to the machine.
- Frozen pipes – Thaw the pipes slowly with either a hair dryer or space heater. Open nearby faucets to let thawed water escape.
Contact Bruni & Campisi – Greenwich Plumbing Professionals
Plumbing emergencies are going to happen to you sooner or later. The tips listed above will have you somewhat prepared. But when it comes to tougher jobs, call the professional Greenwich plumbers at Bruni & Campisi. We have been providing plumbing services to Stamford, Greenwich, and Westchester for over 30 years, and offers 24/7 emergency service response. If you have plumbing issues, call us or fill out a contact form today.